Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Versions of Grass

1855>1860
        First thing’s first… ‘Proto-Leaf’ is now the first poem in 1860. Very cool poem title by the way, Walt. The first leave of grass is kinda like Song of Myself, in that Walt  says he is the poet for all, for the nation, no matter who you may be. A difference is that he isn’t talking so much about us all being one entity as much… It’s still all about unity, but there seems to be more individuality here. Walt also focuses a lot on the ‘Soul,’ and capitalizes the word too, much like I did just now.
        When I started reading the newer version of Song of Myself, I started trippin a little because the words were basically the same, but there was something different… Something was off. Then I realized Walt removed the ellipses and replaced them with boring old commas. Commas are cool, but ellipses are… Well, it’s hard to describe the impact ellipses have on me, but I like the pause they bring. For whatever reason, to me, they almost automatically make anything romantic. If Walt Whitman was talking to a dude, I think he’d have more success asking for “A few light kisses…. a few embraces” rather than asking for “A few light kisses, a few embraces” at the end of the night. The hyphens he uses are close to ellipses for me, but the ones he replaces with commas… no. He lost poetical romanticism points on that one, in my opinion. It’s his poem, so I must let him do whatever he likes, but I had to hate on that part a bit.

The greatest joke ever, WITHOUT ellipses:

The greatest joke ever, WITH ellipses (Obviously better):


        I looked for a few other key words and searched for them just to see a side of Whitman’s meticulousness. He changed his phrasing of “it is the Fourth of July” (pg. 11 in our book) to “it is the Fourth of the Seventh Month”…Apparently Whitman thought ‘July’ was too dull of language to use to describe that month. My opinion of this change?: Cmon son!!!
        “Behavior lawless as snowflakes… words simple as grass… uncombed head and laughter and naivete;” becomes “Behavior lawless as snowflakes, words simple as grass, uncombed head, laughter and naivete;” (pg 32)
        Why? Maybe the he thought the commas made the language flow off the tongue more easily? Maybe he wanted his poem to look more like a poem? The new punctuation certainly does that, I suppose.
Oh, and in 1860, Whitman had a shit-ton more poems than in the 1855 version.

Blue Book>1860
        First thing’s first… did you see the new picture Walt has in his book? He takes on the appearance of a common man in the 1855 edition, but in 1860, he looks all bougie.
        Walt’s meticulousness comes out again. Who writes notes all over their PUBLISHED book??? And it was the 2nd/3rd edition too… Walt scribbles out words and sometimes sentences when things don’t look right to him. Maybe Walt needs to learn about leaving things alone. If Walt lived until he was 1000 years old, he may still have new editions of Leaves of Grass coming out next year. He might be helped by treating his writing like it was music, and have all the beauty and expression lay there on the tape, whether you may find imperfections in it later, or not. The 1967 version ends up keeping a lot in common with the 1960 version, even though Whitman scribbled out lots of sections in his blue book. Going through a text search of a few key points in the poem I wanted to check, he did change one of my favorite lines in the poem… He removes the line “Dash me with amorous wet…. I can repay you.”
        WTF MAN?!? That was one of my favorite lines! I even read it out loud for our project…. But alas, this is how Walt ends up repaying me… Sometimes, you need to put pen to pad, and then let it be.

Q. What did the caterpillar say the the Walt Whitman?
A. Man... you've changed.

6 comments:

  1. I agree . . elllipses work . . so why the change? Does it correspond to any other changes from 1855 to 1986? Including the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1986? o_O You mean 1867? Or 1860? I'm confused... But I do feel overall the picture and ellipses go for a more mainstream approach... if poetry could be considered mainstream at the time. I don't know enough about the era to say that with certainty though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol Hanley-typo.

    Miguel - You are so lucky I had enough self-control on Thursday not to shout out that you were the one who noticed the lines about "Dash me with amorous wet", haha. I was about to totally call you out!

    Do you really have that shirt? In HOT PINK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. When Hanley mentioned that line in class I got the feeling someone was glaring at me from behind for not speaking up... I see now where that feeling came from.
      I got off work at midnight-ish the night before and had to do a lot of homework for another class, and was too tired to want to add to the discussion. I owe you one, lol... Feel free to call me out next time though. Or just throw a pencil at me and I will get the message.

      And naw I was just playin, I don't really have that shirt, but if I did there would really be no other option in my mind other than HOT PINK, fo sho!

      Delete
  4. Haha did you really? Well, I was definitely DYING to say something.

    Midnight? I used to get off at midnight when I worked at a restaurant and I'm so glad that I have a regular 9-5 and that doesn't happen anymore. I definitely understand about being too tired to add in anything because that's how I feel during my first class of the day. Or maybe it's because the class is on Medieval Plays... haha.

    Yeah I know you would probably go for the hot pink in a tube-top style, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Medieval Plays...
      ...
      But yeah in general I'm a bit like you on the whole 'content being quiet in class and preferring to listen' thing... I'll raise my hand every once in a while when the stars are perfectly aligned.

      And of course the tube-top style. All the better to show off my curves.

      Delete