Thursday, April 5, 2012

Project Development... Updated.

        So, I have decided to change up my approach to this Project Development thing. As long as I don't change my mind again, I am most likely going to make an expansion on my YouTubing Whitman project. In that project, I edited a video, placed one of my songs underneath, and recited Whitman lines on top. Through that project, I tried to create a new lens in which to view Whitman's poetry by way of visual media. Now, I'd like to create a new lens to view the Whitman poetry by transforming Whitman's verse into rap verse, and use his own colors to create a new painting.. I'd like to go into the Calamus poems, dig up lines that I can transform, add to, and subtract from, and create a song. I will take creative liberties while I do, cuz, you know...
    
        I will extract the CONTENT from the poetics of Whitman's lines, and then place the content back into a different poetic form. Sometimes, I will rip the lines right out of the poem, and stick them straight into the song. I will post my lyrics side by side with the Calamus poems/lines I adapted them from, to show what meanings and sentiments I derive from his poetry. I will also post the audio of the song on my blog once I'm done as well. My friend has a ghetto studio with a real vocal microphone, i.e. one that doesn't blow up and distort whenever you say a word with the letter "P" in it. Hopefully I can get him to hook me up. Otherwise, it will be recorded on my really bad microphone. My bad.

        I don't rap, but just this once, I will. My voice doesn't have much range, so I will probably sound like something in between the monotone stylings of Guru (from Gang Starr) and Evidence (from Dilated Peoples). On these songs here, both of the rappers I named had the benefit of having my producer-hero DJ Premier lace them with a dope-ass beat and scratches. I won't have that luxury, but I hope it comes out decent, because I am picky as hell when it comes to my Hip-Hop, and I will hate myself if it comes out wack. Real talk.

Rest in Peace, Guru.

Microphone check, 1, 2.

2 comments: