Thursday, March 29, 2012

Project Development

I kinda wanted to look at some more of Whitman's peers, but at the same time, I didn't. Then I also wanted to look at more examples of Whitman in Mass Media, but at the same time, I didn't. I was wondering if I could do a project that in a way combines elements from those two projects (but at the same time, is a bit different)? What I had in mind is looking for a few of Whitman's peers, not in terms of time/place/artform, but in terms of an artist who directly claims Whitman as a heavy influence and creates art as a 'peer' of Whitman in terms of his 'realm of style' (and I wouldn't dwell on any of the poets/artists who are involved in our teaching project). After finding a few artists who state they are directly influenced, I wanted to look at what exactly they took from Whitman's influence (free-form? romantic aspects? ideas of interconnectedness? language? democratic ideals?) I wanted to build on the other 'Whitman's Peers' post by showing Whitman influence that is direct and stated, and this idea comes from the fact that one of my 'Whitman In Mass Media' entries directly stated Whitman as an influence. What I really hope to find is a few artists I don't know much about, and examining their art to find what they borrow from Whitman, which might also show me what certain things people notice the most about Whitman.

8 comments:

  1. I'm being 110% serious (only English majors can be) when I say that you should talk to Professor Hanley about mixing beats and making Whitman his own song, you know? Maybe also use this as an opportunity to think about Whitman's HEIRS (2PAC, amongst others). Didn't Hanley tell us in class once, that that could be our side project? Holla!

    This doesn't have to be a big hot fudge sundae of suck, lol.

    Take this and RUN. WITH. IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually wrote my in-class project proposal in cursive so that in the off-chance that Hanley went through and started reading off people's project ideas, he'd see cursive and skip mine, just because I thought to myself that if he asked me about mine and then asked why I didn't build on my YouTubing Whitman project by making a Whitman song, I wouldn't be able to say no. I dodged that bullet. But now here comes Iona. Asking me to do what I had feared. I was on the edge about it and here she comes to push me over the edge.
      And yes, he did say it could be OUR side project. I think you are forgetting about how YOU would contribute to this Music-ing Whitman project?? You just want me to go out on this alone!
      Making a song for Whitman like it's nothing? I ain't no Fred Hersch!

      Delete
    2. Let me translate your comment, Miguel:

      EXCUSES, EXCUSES, EXCUSES, blah blah blah, oh would you look at that, EXCUSES, DEFLECTING, PROJECTING, and rounded out with more EXCUSES.

      Whew.

      Make like Nike and JUST. DO. IT.

      Delete
    3. DAMN, WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!

      Well... we will see. Any ideas though? I mean, I kinda already made a song in a way with Whitman for the YouTube thing...
      Only thing I had in mind is making a love song out of Calamus, (my fave part was the one where every line started with "Hours") since I got a few love-ey beats I could use, but I'd have to change the 'he's to 'she's because... yeah.

      Delete
  2. [Hi! You were randomly selected for this week's obligatory homework assignment: offer constructive feedback on three other student's Whitman project. I hope you find this comment both illuminating and entertaining. Thanks!]

    I have to ask, would it not be more interesting to find writers/artists who claim that they didn't get their inspiration from Whitman, rather than those who did? You would still discover new peeps, but it would be far more interested to EXPOSE THE LYING HEATHENS rather than the already self-admitted? Tell me what you think.

    What media are you thinking about exploring? Any and all? Right on, but this might make your subject too broad (which means you are forced to give us an anthology), so I recommend narrowing it down. Or not. Really, whatever is better is find by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY CAN'T YOU EDIT POSTS SORRY FOR SPELLING AND NOW CAPS

      Delete
    2. Now let me translate Va-silly's comments:

      1) Miguel, whatever you do, make sure you do it in such a way that it will annoy Hanley. Meanwhile, I'M going to stick to my BROAD AS J-LO'S BACKSIDE topic... while calling YOUR topic BROAD AS NIKKI MINAJ'S BACKSIDE. Cool, yeah?

      2) INCREASE MY EYEGLASS PRESCRIPTION BECAUSE I CAN'T SEE THE DELETE BUTTON, ARGHHHH.

      Pretty accurate, imho.

      Delete
    3. Iona- The J.Lo from Anaconda or the J.Lo post-Anaconda? (big difference)

      And I plan on mostly focusing on music. I expect to find mostly folk singers, but who knows. I feel like I could name tons of music artists who MAY be influenced by Whitman, directly or indirectly, so looking for artists who explicitly point out the influence is my way of keeping it from being too broad. I could name 20 (possibly) lying heathens off the top of the dome right now, haha.

      Delete